This recipe is an oldie but a goodie. If for some reason I feel like a need some more carbs in my protein shake for sustained energy, I resort to this recipe. The semi-sweet chocolate chips add a little bit of decadence when combined with my favorite dark chocolate whey and oatmeal. The overall result is fantastic.
- 10 oz dry penne or other tube-like pasta
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 lb mild turkey sausage
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 1/4 cup ricotta
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan reggiano or Italian cheese blend
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chiffonade
- Loaf of crusty bread
- Start cooking pasta according to directions and strain.
- Add EVOO, onion, and turkey sausage to a hot pan.
- When turkey is cooked, add minced garlic and cook until fragrant (around 30-45 seconds), then add white wine and allow to reduce.
- Add in diced tomato, tomato paste, salt, and pepper and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Fold in ricotta and baby spinach until ricotta is warmed through and the spinach is wilted.
- Mix in penne pasta.
- Serve immediately with warm, crusty bread.